Recipe: Pasta with Pancetta and Cabbage
One of my favorite shops in the Village is called Casa Casale. It is a little Italian specialty shop, with pasta, oils, vinegars, cheeses and other unique cooking knick knacks from Italy. On the one end of the shop is a live cooking demonstration station where there is always one or two meals on the stove to sample. Saturday, they were cooking "Pasta with Cabbage and Pancetta". One bite and I had to have the recipe. I bought the same pasta they used in the recipe which was a Fusilli variety and my mom and I went straight to the grocery store for the rest of the supplies.
I love when recipes call for wine. Usually you only need less than a cup and then the rest you can sip while cooking or while enjoying dinner. The recipe used white wine, I had a white table wine variety called "Just Married" from a Bucks County, Pennsylvania winery, Wycombe Vineyards.
Enjoy and don't forget to stop by Casa Casale in-store or online!
Pasta with Pancetta and Cabbage
2 tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 cup diced Pancetta
3/4 cup diced Onion
1/2 head boiled Savoy Cabbage - chopped
1/4 cup reserved Cabbage broth
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 cup White Wine
Salt and fresh ground Pepper
1 lb. of Fusilli Pasta - cooked al dente
Grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a pot of water to boil for pasta.
2. Cook Fusilli until al dente - taste after 6-7 minutes, don't over cook.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
4. Sauté the pancetta and onions until the pancetta is crispy and the onions are translucent.
5. Add white wine and let stand a few minutes to deglaze the pan.
6. Add the cabbage, stir, add the cabbage broth and chicken broth.
7. Let everything simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Drain pasta and add to pan with pancetta & cabbage, toss together.
9. Add salt & pepper to taste.
10. Top with some grated parmesan.